March 15, 2015
This week, we talk anemia — a fairly big topic!
As an aside, another great study resource for you: Dr. Mike Kirlew’s CCFP podcasts, from Sioux Lookout, Ontario. His lectures are focused on OSCE content rather than the 99 Topics, which I think complements this podcast nicely. I find his lecture style a bit too energetic for me, but the content is fantastic, and he has a knack for simplifying complex content.
This week's links:
- Transfusion thresholds and other strategies for guiding allogeneic red blood cell transfusion. - Cochrane Collaboration (2012)
- Lower versus higher hemoglobin threshold for transfusion in septic shock (2014)
- Evaluation of anemia in the adult according to the mean corpuscular volume - UpToDate
- Iron Studies Interpretation - Perth Haematology
- Anemia in Adults: A Contemporary Approach to Diagnosis - Mayo Clinic Proceedings (2003)
- Red Cell Folate Testing: Unwarranted and Overutilized in the Era of Folic Acid Supplementation (2010)
- Iron Needs in Babies and Child - Canadian Paediatric Society